Sunday, August 4, 2013

What is your Pomeranian Identity?

The Pommern Special Interest Group was recently contacted by a researcher from the Pomeranian State Museum and is conducting research about individuals with ancestors from Pomerania that moved to other countries during the 19th century.  So the researcher has sent us some questions and if you have ancestors that immigrated to the United States (or other countries) during the 19th century, would you take a few minutes to answer the questions in the comments section?

1.) Prior to getting interested in genealogy and family history, were you aware of your Pomeranian identity?

2.) Do you still practice/preserve Pomeranian traditions and if so, how?

3.) Do you speak Low German?  Did you learn it in school or through family?

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I will attempt to answer your questions as they appear.
    1) I started researching my genealogy almost two years ago. Last year I found out that my g-grandparents where Pomeranian. So now I have a greater interest in that branch of the family.
    2) I can see were some of the Pomeranian traditions are similar to the "modern day" traditions. Also, I think this year I will try some of their traditional meals like the 'Cherry soup.' I think my grandchildren will enjoy that as a special treat.
    3) My grandparents never spoke their native language, they were "'Americans,' so English was their language."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My g-grandparents were Pomeranian, my grandmother was their first child born in the US. I was always told that I was part Swedish, German, with maybe a little Polish and Dutch (my mother's side of the family. Two years ago I started researching my family tree, less than a year ago I found my Pomerania link.

    I can see were Pomeranian traditions are similar to "modern day" traditions. This Christmas, I will try some "Cherry soup."

    My grandparents were 'Proud Americans," and the only language they spoke was English. Besides, on my father's side of the family, my grandfather was Swedish and my grandmother was German. They were their parents first born American children.

    Today, I wonder why my parents and grandparents never spoke about their heritage. Unfortunately, they have passed away and I can only guess as to their reasons.

    ReplyDelete